Title: The Missing Muse - Part 4
Fandom: Dark City
Characters: John Murdoch, Daniel Schreber, Ben & Larry
Rating: M
Summary: The new Muse presents Daniel with far more than he'd expected. But is what John thinks he wants really the best choice for them both?
Daniel thought he'd be able to breathe a sigh of relief once John had left, but the anxious feeling of being on edge aggravatingly remained.
"I think we need to start in on the reds," Larry said quietly, popping the cork on a new bottle.
Ben cuddled up against Daniel's back, enfolding him in the strength of his embrace and pressing a kiss under his ear. "You okay, liebling?" he asked again, and Daniel wasn't really any more sure of how to answer than he'd been when Ben had asked downstairs.
"...I don't know," he said finally, relaxing back into his twin gratefully, then smiling up at Larry as he joined them to refill his glass. "Thank you. Those powers...."
"...yeah," Larry agreed, letting out a softly overwhelmed breath and taking a long drink. "No wonder the professor warned us to watch out for the Muses. It feels like... pulling yourself open until you can touch your own soul. Definitely not what your bravery feels like." Then his brows knit together. "That's... not what it feels like with me... right?"
Daniel shook his head immediately. "No, love. Your powers always feel like... release."
Larry smiled, relaxing. "Good. It's been so long that... sometimes I worry I remember it differently than it happened...."
Daniel gave a soft hum of agreement, and sipped his wine slowly, trying to take comfort in his twin's embrace.
Because that, of course, was the reason for his anxiety.
"He seems lovely..." Ben started behind him, and Daniel gave a huffed laugh.
"You think he's an airhead."
"I... think he's a lovely airhead," Ben admitted begrudgingly. "But that doesn't mean I don't think you shouldn't see if you want more of... what we interrupted."
Daniel closed his eyes, forcing out a less convincing laugh. "You interrupted a Disney song. And not even, like... a good Lin Manuel Miranda Disney song. A sappy fucking golden age Disney song."
Ben rubbed his arm, kissing softly under his ear. "I interrupted what I haven't seen from you in a very long time, baby brother."
"I barely know him. And he's a literal baby," Daniel pointed out through grit teeth, trying to ignore the pang of loss his words brought. He'd tried. He'd hoped, each time he tried, that he might be able to trust his lover with both his divine and not-so-divine secrets, but... in the end it had been too difficult. Their worlds were... too different.
"He's at least five years older than we were," Larry pointed out quietly. "And it's not like it'll matter in a decade or two."
"But a decade or two is what matters most!" Daniel turned in his twin's arms so he could look at them both. "Valerie wanted - she wanted Thalia to have a fresh start. One that doesn't leave him with another lifetime of people he's bound to outlive and lose."
"And you know what he needs to do to ensure that," Ben replied gently.
Daniel swallowed hard and shook his head. "I won't seduce him just to make him leave his mortal lifestyle behind."
"Never." Ben cupped his cheek, stroking it gently. "We'll let him make his decisions. But he needs to know about Valerie, too. How we tried to help her and why she declined. Give him a night to let this sink in... and then you should tell him tomorrow."
"Without you."
Ben smiled softly. "I'll come if you need me. But...I think you should spend some time with him alone."
Daniel's stomach twisted, and he buried his face in the crook of Ben's neck. "... and spend the afternoon singing sappy duets."
"He understands his powers now," Larry pointed out. "I don't think it'll happen again unless you want it to."
"And if that is, in fact, the problem?"
Ben chuckled softly, but not unkindly. He lifted Daniel's chin to claim a slow, sweet kiss. "My sweet liebling... you're thinking too much. Come to bed. Let Larry take care of those bothersome inhibitions."
Larry gave a pleased hum, stepping closer to nuzzle a kiss to his temple. "And your big brother can give you a dose of bravery."
They were right; of course they were right. There was no reason for him to keep fighting it... especially when his dearests could make everything so much easier. He turned to pass Ben's kiss onto Larry with a soft moan. "You're both too good to me."
"We're good for each other," Ben murmured, starting to unbutton his shirt. "You know that."
God, did he ever. Daniel turned to claim his twin's mouth, letting his desire soothe, for now, the butterflies of anxiety. "And you think he'll understand that?"
It was Larry who answered him, though, pressing against his back with a low, pleased chuckle. "Oh, I don't think you need to worry too much about that, little one... I saw exactly what he'll be like when the two of you bring him into my revels."
~~~
After a few texts sent back and forth the next morning, Daniel arrived at John's student résidence building with take-out cappuccino and fresh chocolatines, taking the stairs to what proved to be a cute third floor micro apartment. What was far cuter was John with his marvelous head of dark curls fluffy and untamed, hanging half over his forehead.
"Good morning, handsome," John said softly, taking the takeout tray from him and stepping back. "Come on in. I'm afraid I don't often entertain here, but I do have two chairs at least. Well, kind of. Have a seat?"
Two chairs ended up being a chair at the room's built-in desk and an overstuffed cushion thrown on the end of the bed beside it. The desk itself held an electronic keyboard that had been tipped up to sit on its back and clear the space, and the shelving along the wall held an assortment of binders, books and personal knick-knacks, along with one photo of John with what was clearly his parents and sister. No obvious signs of a significant other, at least, which was a good thing for both of his interests.
Still, it was best to make sure. "They certainly don't make these accommodations for dating, do they?"
"Why Daniel, are you asking me if I'm single?" John teased, settling down on the cushion with one foot up on the bedframe.
Feeling his ears burn, Daniel settled in the desk chair and took a sip of cappuccino. "Well, I should hope you are after that little show outside your bar."
"I am." John leaned forward to cover Daniel's hand with his own, smiling softly, the gaze of his pretty green eyes open and honest. "And I'm sorry that I forced you to play your hand before you were ready. None of that today. I promise."
Daniel drew a slow breath, managing to return his smile. He turned his hand under John's, squeezing gently before pulling it back. "I know it wasn't your intention. Forgive me for being testy... I'm not used to people throwing me off guard."
"You're the planner of the trio?" John asked, making Daniel realize that the pretty young man was definitely more intuitive than Ben had given him credit for, and possibly more than Daniel had assessed as well.
"...I am," he confirmed, and took a deep breath. "But that isn't the reason I'm here on my own."
John's brows rose slightly, lips turning up into a smile that was almost shy compared to his teasing boldness. "No?"
"No," Daniel managed to reply, "but there are important things to talk about first. If you don't mind."
John nodded, acceding with an elegant hand gesture. "Of course."
Daniel let out a slow breath, still torn over where to start. Everything was still new to John, but unlike his predecessor, Daniel was certain that the key to longevity wasn't to spend as much time forging bonds with the mortal world as possible, especially during the first two decades. "One of the reasons my predecessor chose Ben and I was that I was majoring in psychology. I finished that doctorate, despite the fact that it took a precious amount of my first decade as an idol. I wanted to make sure that I had as many tools as I could to - to help the three of us adjust, and to help other idols if we could. There's many reasons why it's not easy to carry centuries of memories, John."
He nodded, listening. "Which is why the other memories from the ones who came before us start coming back slowly after a few decades."
"...possibly," Daniel admitted. "Though to be honest, just that reason alone seems strange to me. Giving us the memories slowly, of course, but if the goal was to maintain a united Pantheon like the Americans apparently think, then why wait? Why risk two decades of someone possibly knowing nothing about their divinity? Or even dying without passing on the Eidolon?"
John took one of the chocolatines, leaning his shoulder against the window and taking a bite thoughtfully. "... or making mortal connections they have to leave behind?"
Clearly he'd been thinking about these things, which relieved Daniel more. "That's what Valerie struggled with. She told us that she was a successful musician when she became Thalia, and at first she thought she would use that love of music to transition into her divinity after living a mortal lifespan with her husband."
"And that didn't go as planned."
Daniel shook his head. "By the time we met her, I think she knew that it wouldn't, and had made peace with that. We tried to convince her to come meet the other idols, but... we failed. But... she was certain that you had the capacity for it. And for joy. She thought, because you're American, you might go back and connect with the Pantheon there - "
"The one that barely lets us do anything with our immortal lives?" John interrupted with a snort.
"It's certainly not the only option," Daniel assured him.
"And what do you think?"
"I think," Daniel started slowly, "that there are many challenges to immortality, even our kind of immortality. And most of them I can only speak to based on what I've learned, right now this is still comparably new to me. I know that it's difficult even for mortals to adjust to the pace of change and innovation in our world, and the more you try and insulate yourself from that change the harder it becomes. And I know that... a person's memory is tricky and unreliable, and I can't believe that being a God makes that any less of a problem."
John leaned forward curiously, holding his gaze. "How do you mean?"
"Evolution. We needed to remember the things that helped us survive. What frightened us or hurt us or... made us vomit. We're hardwired to store negative things in our long term memory. I believe that, no matter what we decide to do with our first two decades, the most important thing is to work to build a repository of positive memories."
John nodded slowly as he spoke. "To balance the scales."
"Yes. And that means finding a purpose, whether in the mortal world or with our family. I think that's the real reason the Eidolon gives us time; so that we have twenty years not to think about long ago offenses and deep-seated grudges and can see our family members for who they are now, for better or worse. Before any of the Eidolon's memories come into play."
"And that's why you do what you do."
"It is. John... whatever you decide, I'll support you in it however I can. However I can help you."
John's smile looked rather dubious. "As a therapist?"
"If that's what you want me to be."
John turned fully sideways on the bed, bringing his feet up and leaning back against the window, lips pursing as he considered his words. "I met Valerie because I went to her audition. Obviously she wasn't upfront about what she was actually auditioning for. When she made me sing... the strongest thing I felt was determination. I won't give up my music again, I was clear about that."
"Alright..." Daniel regarded him carefully. "I think, of all our powers, yours would certainly benefit you in that regard. If you're careful, perhaps the world and the Pantheon won't be able to tell the power of a Muse from the power of a pop star, at least for a while. After that... well, perhaps that's the reason my professor's records say the muses used to pass on their divinity whenever they became enamored of a new mortal...."
"Burn hot and fast like a firework." John chuckled and shook his head. "No. No, I don't want that, and... Valerie didn't want that for me, either. I told her I was okay with a future where I can't be in the spotlight as long as I can help others find success. That's what Muses are supposed to do, isn't it? Inspire people? Can you help me do that?"
Daniel thought about it, and nodded slowly. "... I think I could help you find a way to do that without pissing off the Pantheon. If that's what you want."
John was quiet for a long moment, watching him. "...would you do it with me, if I asked?"
Immediately the anxious butterflies were back in a flood. Daniel took another sip of cappuccino to try and swallow them down. "I... would have limited use for you alone," he managed. "I can see someone's capacity for heroism, but I can't inspire that bravery without my twin. Ben and I... we share our eidolon."
"I figured as much, from the things you said and what I read last night about Castor and Pollux. But I don't mean help me with your powers, just... help me. And I could help you, with or without my powers. By the way... which one are you?"
Daniel forced down another wave of uneasiness. "I... don't know that yet. We won't, not until we begin to gain our old memories. My professor - the old Pollux - said that some of them will be shared even then."
Green eyes searched his. "...when will that happen for you?"
The ever-growing turmoil of uncertainty escaped Daniel's lips in a single sharp laugh that felt closer to a sob. "Two or three years, perhaps. Six months, perhaps."
"...ah." John leaned forward and wrapped his arms around his knees, looking at him in a way that was somehow all eyes. "Am I too late, then?"
Daniel swallowed, mouth dry. "...to form a family connection?"
A small, hopeful smile. "I was hoping for a not-so-family connection, though I suppose for the Greek Gods it's all one and the same, right?"
God, that was going to be a lot to unpack. And best to try and rip the band-aid off now. Daniel let out a long breath. "Perhaps more than you'd expect, in my case."
John shrugged, surprisingly nonplussed. "You're half of the Dioscuri. I expected the divine twins must share everything. I don't mind."
Somehow that did little for Daniel's anxiety. "Are you sure you want to waste time on someone who... might not end up being who you think they are?"
John held his gaze evenly. "Even if I only had two years myself, spending them making happy memories with you wouldn't be a waste."
Daniel couldn't keep the helplessness out of his voice. "How can you be so sure? John, we just met."
Moving to perch on the edge of the bed in front of him, John reached out to gently take both his hands. For a moment he just looked at him, and Daniel half expected to feel the touch of those soul-bearing powers again. Instead just lifted one hand, pressing a soft kiss to the backs of his fingers and starting to sing softly. "...I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream...."
"John, this isn't a fairy tale."
"I know." John squeezed his fingers gently. "But... as much as I know I'm new to my powers, I know what I felt yesterday outside the bar. And I know that I... I wasn't just using my powers on you. It was both of us. So... for as much as I've longed for a real romance, Daniel, with someone who wants to commit for the long haul... where we can learn how to love and support both each other's passions and trials, and celebrate our successes... I can't help but believe that what Thalia inspired you to sing must mean that you long for that too...."
Daniel's eyes burned, and he had to close them for a moment, swallowing hard to clear the lump in his throat. He'd tried to work out on his own how this conversation would go, to work through his own doubts. He'd imagined the best thing that could come out of it was agreeing to take things one day at a time and see what the future held. It was, he realized, the way he'd approached all his other attempts at romance. Tentatively, carefully... and perhaps with the expectation that they'd fail. Perhaps it had always been a self-fulfilling prophecy.
It wasn't what John was asking for.
He managed to meet his gaze again. "John," he said, because he had to be sure of it, "I have sex with my brother."
John nodded. "Yes. You're the Dioscuri. You don't have to stop. Or sleeping with Larry, I assume that's a thing. I hope that's a thing, he's really hot."
A soft, slightly incredulous laugh escaped Daniel's lips. "You did gather that Dionysus using the full extent of his powers frequently results in some kind of orgy, yes?"
"Mmm." John's eyebrows rose hopefully. "Could I go with you?"
"...I think I'd like that," Daniel admitted with a little rueful smile. "As licentious as it may be to admit... I rather suspect that absolute sexual monogamy might not be the wisest goal for an immortal relationship."
"I think the myths make that very clear." John looked down briefly with a smile, a fringe of dark lashes fanning against his cheeks. "Is that what you want, then...?"
God, it seemed hardly possible that such a beautiful creature was offering him this! "John... please, just... take a day or two. Please think about what I've said before we make any commitments. All of it. And let Ben take you to settle finances. My help will always be on the table, regardless. And... and invitations to the orgy."
"Alright." John lifted his hand to his lips again, pressing a long kiss to the back, then pressing his cheek to it for a long moment. "For you."
~~~
Fandom: Dark City
Characters: John Murdoch, Daniel Schreber, Ben & Larry
Rating: M
Summary: The new Muse presents Daniel with far more than he'd expected. But is what John thinks he wants really the best choice for them both?
Daniel thought he'd be able to breathe a sigh of relief once John had left, but the anxious feeling of being on edge aggravatingly remained.
"I think we need to start in on the reds," Larry said quietly, popping the cork on a new bottle.
Ben cuddled up against Daniel's back, enfolding him in the strength of his embrace and pressing a kiss under his ear. "You okay, liebling?" he asked again, and Daniel wasn't really any more sure of how to answer than he'd been when Ben had asked downstairs.
"...I don't know," he said finally, relaxing back into his twin gratefully, then smiling up at Larry as he joined them to refill his glass. "Thank you. Those powers...."
"...yeah," Larry agreed, letting out a softly overwhelmed breath and taking a long drink. "No wonder the professor warned us to watch out for the Muses. It feels like... pulling yourself open until you can touch your own soul. Definitely not what your bravery feels like." Then his brows knit together. "That's... not what it feels like with me... right?"
Daniel shook his head immediately. "No, love. Your powers always feel like... release."
Larry smiled, relaxing. "Good. It's been so long that... sometimes I worry I remember it differently than it happened...."
Daniel gave a soft hum of agreement, and sipped his wine slowly, trying to take comfort in his twin's embrace.
Because that, of course, was the reason for his anxiety.
"He seems lovely..." Ben started behind him, and Daniel gave a huffed laugh.
"You think he's an airhead."
"I... think he's a lovely airhead," Ben admitted begrudgingly. "But that doesn't mean I don't think you shouldn't see if you want more of... what we interrupted."
Daniel closed his eyes, forcing out a less convincing laugh. "You interrupted a Disney song. And not even, like... a good Lin Manuel Miranda Disney song. A sappy fucking golden age Disney song."
Ben rubbed his arm, kissing softly under his ear. "I interrupted what I haven't seen from you in a very long time, baby brother."
"I barely know him. And he's a literal baby," Daniel pointed out through grit teeth, trying to ignore the pang of loss his words brought. He'd tried. He'd hoped, each time he tried, that he might be able to trust his lover with both his divine and not-so-divine secrets, but... in the end it had been too difficult. Their worlds were... too different.
"He's at least five years older than we were," Larry pointed out quietly. "And it's not like it'll matter in a decade or two."
"But a decade or two is what matters most!" Daniel turned in his twin's arms so he could look at them both. "Valerie wanted - she wanted Thalia to have a fresh start. One that doesn't leave him with another lifetime of people he's bound to outlive and lose."
"And you know what he needs to do to ensure that," Ben replied gently.
Daniel swallowed hard and shook his head. "I won't seduce him just to make him leave his mortal lifestyle behind."
"Never." Ben cupped his cheek, stroking it gently. "We'll let him make his decisions. But he needs to know about Valerie, too. How we tried to help her and why she declined. Give him a night to let this sink in... and then you should tell him tomorrow."
"Without you."
Ben smiled softly. "I'll come if you need me. But...I think you should spend some time with him alone."
Daniel's stomach twisted, and he buried his face in the crook of Ben's neck. "... and spend the afternoon singing sappy duets."
"He understands his powers now," Larry pointed out. "I don't think it'll happen again unless you want it to."
"And if that is, in fact, the problem?"
Ben chuckled softly, but not unkindly. He lifted Daniel's chin to claim a slow, sweet kiss. "My sweet liebling... you're thinking too much. Come to bed. Let Larry take care of those bothersome inhibitions."
Larry gave a pleased hum, stepping closer to nuzzle a kiss to his temple. "And your big brother can give you a dose of bravery."
They were right; of course they were right. There was no reason for him to keep fighting it... especially when his dearests could make everything so much easier. He turned to pass Ben's kiss onto Larry with a soft moan. "You're both too good to me."
"We're good for each other," Ben murmured, starting to unbutton his shirt. "You know that."
God, did he ever. Daniel turned to claim his twin's mouth, letting his desire soothe, for now, the butterflies of anxiety. "And you think he'll understand that?"
It was Larry who answered him, though, pressing against his back with a low, pleased chuckle. "Oh, I don't think you need to worry too much about that, little one... I saw exactly what he'll be like when the two of you bring him into my revels."
~~~
After a few texts sent back and forth the next morning, Daniel arrived at John's student résidence building with take-out cappuccino and fresh chocolatines, taking the stairs to what proved to be a cute third floor micro apartment. What was far cuter was John with his marvelous head of dark curls fluffy and untamed, hanging half over his forehead.
"Good morning, handsome," John said softly, taking the takeout tray from him and stepping back. "Come on in. I'm afraid I don't often entertain here, but I do have two chairs at least. Well, kind of. Have a seat?"
Two chairs ended up being a chair at the room's built-in desk and an overstuffed cushion thrown on the end of the bed beside it. The desk itself held an electronic keyboard that had been tipped up to sit on its back and clear the space, and the shelving along the wall held an assortment of binders, books and personal knick-knacks, along with one photo of John with what was clearly his parents and sister. No obvious signs of a significant other, at least, which was a good thing for both of his interests.
Still, it was best to make sure. "They certainly don't make these accommodations for dating, do they?"
"Why Daniel, are you asking me if I'm single?" John teased, settling down on the cushion with one foot up on the bedframe.
Feeling his ears burn, Daniel settled in the desk chair and took a sip of cappuccino. "Well, I should hope you are after that little show outside your bar."
"I am." John leaned forward to cover Daniel's hand with his own, smiling softly, the gaze of his pretty green eyes open and honest. "And I'm sorry that I forced you to play your hand before you were ready. None of that today. I promise."
Daniel drew a slow breath, managing to return his smile. He turned his hand under John's, squeezing gently before pulling it back. "I know it wasn't your intention. Forgive me for being testy... I'm not used to people throwing me off guard."
"You're the planner of the trio?" John asked, making Daniel realize that the pretty young man was definitely more intuitive than Ben had given him credit for, and possibly more than Daniel had assessed as well.
"...I am," he confirmed, and took a deep breath. "But that isn't the reason I'm here on my own."
John's brows rose slightly, lips turning up into a smile that was almost shy compared to his teasing boldness. "No?"
"No," Daniel managed to reply, "but there are important things to talk about first. If you don't mind."
John nodded, acceding with an elegant hand gesture. "Of course."
Daniel let out a slow breath, still torn over where to start. Everything was still new to John, but unlike his predecessor, Daniel was certain that the key to longevity wasn't to spend as much time forging bonds with the mortal world as possible, especially during the first two decades. "One of the reasons my predecessor chose Ben and I was that I was majoring in psychology. I finished that doctorate, despite the fact that it took a precious amount of my first decade as an idol. I wanted to make sure that I had as many tools as I could to - to help the three of us adjust, and to help other idols if we could. There's many reasons why it's not easy to carry centuries of memories, John."
He nodded, listening. "Which is why the other memories from the ones who came before us start coming back slowly after a few decades."
"...possibly," Daniel admitted. "Though to be honest, just that reason alone seems strange to me. Giving us the memories slowly, of course, but if the goal was to maintain a united Pantheon like the Americans apparently think, then why wait? Why risk two decades of someone possibly knowing nothing about their divinity? Or even dying without passing on the Eidolon?"
John took one of the chocolatines, leaning his shoulder against the window and taking a bite thoughtfully. "... or making mortal connections they have to leave behind?"
Clearly he'd been thinking about these things, which relieved Daniel more. "That's what Valerie struggled with. She told us that she was a successful musician when she became Thalia, and at first she thought she would use that love of music to transition into her divinity after living a mortal lifespan with her husband."
"And that didn't go as planned."
Daniel shook his head. "By the time we met her, I think she knew that it wouldn't, and had made peace with that. We tried to convince her to come meet the other idols, but... we failed. But... she was certain that you had the capacity for it. And for joy. She thought, because you're American, you might go back and connect with the Pantheon there - "
"The one that barely lets us do anything with our immortal lives?" John interrupted with a snort.
"It's certainly not the only option," Daniel assured him.
"And what do you think?"
"I think," Daniel started slowly, "that there are many challenges to immortality, even our kind of immortality. And most of them I can only speak to based on what I've learned, right now this is still comparably new to me. I know that it's difficult even for mortals to adjust to the pace of change and innovation in our world, and the more you try and insulate yourself from that change the harder it becomes. And I know that... a person's memory is tricky and unreliable, and I can't believe that being a God makes that any less of a problem."
John leaned forward curiously, holding his gaze. "How do you mean?"
"Evolution. We needed to remember the things that helped us survive. What frightened us or hurt us or... made us vomit. We're hardwired to store negative things in our long term memory. I believe that, no matter what we decide to do with our first two decades, the most important thing is to work to build a repository of positive memories."
John nodded slowly as he spoke. "To balance the scales."
"Yes. And that means finding a purpose, whether in the mortal world or with our family. I think that's the real reason the Eidolon gives us time; so that we have twenty years not to think about long ago offenses and deep-seated grudges and can see our family members for who they are now, for better or worse. Before any of the Eidolon's memories come into play."
"And that's why you do what you do."
"It is. John... whatever you decide, I'll support you in it however I can. However I can help you."
John's smile looked rather dubious. "As a therapist?"
"If that's what you want me to be."
John turned fully sideways on the bed, bringing his feet up and leaning back against the window, lips pursing as he considered his words. "I met Valerie because I went to her audition. Obviously she wasn't upfront about what she was actually auditioning for. When she made me sing... the strongest thing I felt was determination. I won't give up my music again, I was clear about that."
"Alright..." Daniel regarded him carefully. "I think, of all our powers, yours would certainly benefit you in that regard. If you're careful, perhaps the world and the Pantheon won't be able to tell the power of a Muse from the power of a pop star, at least for a while. After that... well, perhaps that's the reason my professor's records say the muses used to pass on their divinity whenever they became enamored of a new mortal...."
"Burn hot and fast like a firework." John chuckled and shook his head. "No. No, I don't want that, and... Valerie didn't want that for me, either. I told her I was okay with a future where I can't be in the spotlight as long as I can help others find success. That's what Muses are supposed to do, isn't it? Inspire people? Can you help me do that?"
Daniel thought about it, and nodded slowly. "... I think I could help you find a way to do that without pissing off the Pantheon. If that's what you want."
John was quiet for a long moment, watching him. "...would you do it with me, if I asked?"
Immediately the anxious butterflies were back in a flood. Daniel took another sip of cappuccino to try and swallow them down. "I... would have limited use for you alone," he managed. "I can see someone's capacity for heroism, but I can't inspire that bravery without my twin. Ben and I... we share our eidolon."
"I figured as much, from the things you said and what I read last night about Castor and Pollux. But I don't mean help me with your powers, just... help me. And I could help you, with or without my powers. By the way... which one are you?"
Daniel forced down another wave of uneasiness. "I... don't know that yet. We won't, not until we begin to gain our old memories. My professor - the old Pollux - said that some of them will be shared even then."
Green eyes searched his. "...when will that happen for you?"
The ever-growing turmoil of uncertainty escaped Daniel's lips in a single sharp laugh that felt closer to a sob. "Two or three years, perhaps. Six months, perhaps."
"...ah." John leaned forward and wrapped his arms around his knees, looking at him in a way that was somehow all eyes. "Am I too late, then?"
Daniel swallowed, mouth dry. "...to form a family connection?"
A small, hopeful smile. "I was hoping for a not-so-family connection, though I suppose for the Greek Gods it's all one and the same, right?"
God, that was going to be a lot to unpack. And best to try and rip the band-aid off now. Daniel let out a long breath. "Perhaps more than you'd expect, in my case."
John shrugged, surprisingly nonplussed. "You're half of the Dioscuri. I expected the divine twins must share everything. I don't mind."
Somehow that did little for Daniel's anxiety. "Are you sure you want to waste time on someone who... might not end up being who you think they are?"
John held his gaze evenly. "Even if I only had two years myself, spending them making happy memories with you wouldn't be a waste."
Daniel couldn't keep the helplessness out of his voice. "How can you be so sure? John, we just met."
Moving to perch on the edge of the bed in front of him, John reached out to gently take both his hands. For a moment he just looked at him, and Daniel half expected to feel the touch of those soul-bearing powers again. Instead just lifted one hand, pressing a soft kiss to the backs of his fingers and starting to sing softly. "...I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream...."
"John, this isn't a fairy tale."
"I know." John squeezed his fingers gently. "But... as much as I know I'm new to my powers, I know what I felt yesterday outside the bar. And I know that I... I wasn't just using my powers on you. It was both of us. So... for as much as I've longed for a real romance, Daniel, with someone who wants to commit for the long haul... where we can learn how to love and support both each other's passions and trials, and celebrate our successes... I can't help but believe that what Thalia inspired you to sing must mean that you long for that too...."
Daniel's eyes burned, and he had to close them for a moment, swallowing hard to clear the lump in his throat. He'd tried to work out on his own how this conversation would go, to work through his own doubts. He'd imagined the best thing that could come out of it was agreeing to take things one day at a time and see what the future held. It was, he realized, the way he'd approached all his other attempts at romance. Tentatively, carefully... and perhaps with the expectation that they'd fail. Perhaps it had always been a self-fulfilling prophecy.
It wasn't what John was asking for.
He managed to meet his gaze again. "John," he said, because he had to be sure of it, "I have sex with my brother."
John nodded. "Yes. You're the Dioscuri. You don't have to stop. Or sleeping with Larry, I assume that's a thing. I hope that's a thing, he's really hot."
A soft, slightly incredulous laugh escaped Daniel's lips. "You did gather that Dionysus using the full extent of his powers frequently results in some kind of orgy, yes?"
"Mmm." John's eyebrows rose hopefully. "Could I go with you?"
"...I think I'd like that," Daniel admitted with a little rueful smile. "As licentious as it may be to admit... I rather suspect that absolute sexual monogamy might not be the wisest goal for an immortal relationship."
"I think the myths make that very clear." John looked down briefly with a smile, a fringe of dark lashes fanning against his cheeks. "Is that what you want, then...?"
God, it seemed hardly possible that such a beautiful creature was offering him this! "John... please, just... take a day or two. Please think about what I've said before we make any commitments. All of it. And let Ben take you to settle finances. My help will always be on the table, regardless. And... and invitations to the orgy."
"Alright." John lifted his hand to his lips again, pressing a long kiss to the back, then pressing his cheek to it for a long moment. "For you."
~~~
no subject
Date: 2024-01-01 05:04 am (UTC)I do adore John's determination to get to know this sweet blond boy. I think he would have fallen for Daniel no matter what but I suspect that there is a need in Daniel that John recognizes and longs to fulfill. He is a sweet boy too, studying up on the ancient Greek gods and especially on two very special twin gods.
I also adore John's eternally cheerful response to Daniel confessing he is having sex with his brother - "That's hot. How does he feel about threesomes? Or maybe foursomes because Larry's also really sexy too."
I am glad to see Ben encouraging his brother to explore everything that could happen with John. He's such a loving big brother and he wants his twin to have everything.
Happy New Year, Beautiful. 🍾🎇🥳
no subject
Date: 2024-01-01 07:23 am (UTC)John will always love the hot twins XD XD XD (I couldn't help but imagine him going home and trying to google whatever came to mind to help him win over this cute bunny that he's just met.) I do definitely think that it's a special power of a muse to be able to have an inkling of what someone's strongest repressed feeling is, and Daniel does so very much long for a partner. How could John resist??
Ben is sweetest twin. Maybe 20 years ago he'd worry more about John, but he trusts Daniel and now he just wants his twin to be happy. Dearest <3 <3 <3